Image Map

Monday, July 20, 2015

Mommy Monday: potatoes with rosemary and coconut oil

One of the great things about summer vacation is that I have time to try out new recipes and experiment with my cooking. During the school year I don't have time to think about meals- it's just whatever strikes my fancy from my meal planner. Today's recipe is the result of one of those summer, "hey why don't I try putting some of that in there?" moments and I am so excited about it, you guys!!


So I have to give credit to my friend Rebekah for inspiring this recipe. She had us over for dinner several months ago and served potatoes cooked in coconut oil- something I had never tried. I nearly fell out of my chair after the first bite! I already had coconut oil at home to use on my nails or as a lotion substitute (go look it up if you don't know about the many benefits of coconut oil- the stuff is awesome!), so when the girls brought home some potatoes they had picked one day, I knew I had to try to recreate those magical potatoes!

Unfortunately I couldn't remember what other seasoning my friend had used in her potatoes, or even how much oil she had used, so I just kinda made up whatever sounded good. And yes, they were heavenly! I don't know why but the sweetness of the coconut oil is just perfect on the pan fried potatoes. I settled on rosemary because I like rosemary on my corn on the cob, and I figured that was the same kind of sweet flavor... does that make any sense? Anyway, here's the recipe. It is fast and easy (would you expect anything else from me?), so I will definitely be adding this to my school night meals from now on!


Potatoes with Rosemary and Coconut Oil
(serves 3-4 people as a side dish)

Ingredients:
2-3 large potatoes (I used red potatoes but any kind should work)
2 tablespoons coconut oil
1 teaspoon rosemary
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
*adjust seasonings to taste- I eyeballed everything so these are estimates

Directions:
1. Slice potatoes into thin slices (the thinner the slices, the faster they'll cook).
2. Cook all ingredients in large non-stick pan until potatoes are cooked through (5-10 minutes), stirring occasionally.
3. Try not to eat them all at once!

4 comments :

  1. Yum! Sounds delicious! I love coconut oil but I've never tried it with potatoes :) #twinklytuesday

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm telling you, it is a delicious combination! Thanks for stopping by :)

      Delete
  2. Sounds absolutely divine! I grew up using coconut oil in Bangladesh for everything BUT cooking. I'm still working on absorbing it into my culinary repertoire. Thanks for linking with #TwinklyTuesday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! I am a recent convert to coconut oil but I did not buy it for my kitchen at all :) I'm telling you though- these potatoes are amazing!!

      Delete